Faculty of Graduate Studies at Arab American University announces the start of receiving applications for admission for " Master of Ophthalmic Nursing " for Fall 2018/2019 from Tuesday, 17/07/2018 until Saturday, 01/09/2018:
Ophthalmic nursing continues to magnify and progress in response to the increasing demand and expectations for quality eye care services worldwide. Ophthalmic Nurses are expected to provide effective care integration and management of patient flow, enhanced knowledge, exceptional skills and innovative minds for the provision of safe and quality patient care. Ophthalmic nurses have the ability to apply medical and nursing intervention that fulfil visual care requirements with a primary role that lies in developing and maintain the highest standards of care, and helping patient adapt to new life style altering conditions.
Palestinian hospitals rely heavily on non-certified trained nurses to provide eye care practices. More than ten Palestinian hospitals with eye services lack the provision of eye services through advanced ophthalmic nurse practitioners. Several hospitals in the West Bank, including the Arab Hospitals inside the Green Zone have been approached, who acknowledged the deficiency of this specialty, and also appreciated having a master degree program to prepare professionals that would substantially improve the quality of eye care services in Palestine.
Program’s Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate a command of knowledge on the eye anatomy, physiology, and visual system pathological processes that lead to systemic effect on the body.
- Critically appraise, evaluate and integrate theories and perspectives of the visual system and ocular health in the practice and management of ocular abnormalities using evidence based practice.
- Demonstrate competence and skills required for critical assessment, the triage, diagnosis, application and co-management of contemporary refractive and ocular diseases using imaging technologies.
- Undertake an integral specialist role in the pre and post-surgical care for minor and major ophthalmic surgery procedures.
- Demonstrate analytical and problem-solving skills in a variety of theoretical and practical situations with particular emphasis on prescribing issues.
- Manage and coordinate nurse-led clinics including referrals to other specialties.
- Act as a resource, teacher, educator, researcher and mentor to promote ocular health.
- Promote and support the well-being of under-privileged populations including the pediatric, geriatric and visually impaired populations.
- Exhibit personal behaviors, attitudes and values that express awareness of legal and ethical issues in ophthalmic nursing.
- Conduct clinical research and data analysis to enrich and improve patient eye care services
Applicant must be a holder of a bachelor’s degree in Nursing from an accredit university by the Palestinian Ministry of Education and Higher Education, with at least a (Good) standing.
Admission Application Instructions:
- Submission of admission applications will begin on Thursday, 17 July 2018.
- The Admission Card can be obtained for a master's degree through:
- Financial Department at the main campus of the University in Jenin.
- Ramallah Site – AL-Rehan.
- University Office in Nazareth.
- Admission application fees is $100 USD non-refundable.
- Fill out the online application form available at (www.aauj.edu/apply) And enter all required fields.
- Applicant should go then to the Deanship of Admissions and Registration at the university main campus in Jenin or Ramallah site for submitting the original documents.
- When the application is complete, and all requirements have been achieved the student will receive the final acceptance letter.
- The student should pay the seat reservation fee at any of our certified banks then get the seat reservation letter by Email or from the Deanship of Admission and Registration. Which contains the login information required for the edugate portal and additional information.
- For further information, Contact the the faculty of graduate studies at 04-2418888 ext. (1471 or 1472) or at 02-2941999 ext. (5) or by e-mail at (PGSaauj.edu) or to contact the Deanship of Admission and Registration by telephone 04-2418888 ext. (3) or Fax 04-2510814 or by e-mail (DARaauj.edu).
Required Documents: (Original and legalized copies of the documents below must be submitted in order to secure full admission)
- Fill out AAU online Application
- Transcript of high school diploma certified / or its equivalent by the Palestinian Ministry of Education and Higher Education.
- National Identity Card (local applicants) or passport (international applicants)
- Original birth certificate or a copy duly certified. (local applicants)
- Personal photo. ( count 2 )
- Original or Legalized copies of Bachelor Certificate and Transcript. ( certified by the Palestinian Ministry of Education and Higher Education)
- Two letters of recommendation either academic or professional.
- A Goal statement presented by the candidate. ( one to three pages )
- A sealed transcript from the undergraduate university (Transcripts from foreign universities must be legalized and accredited by the Palestinian Ministry of Education and Higher Education)
- The deadline to apply for admission to the program if seats are still available, on Saturday 01/09/2018.
- Submitting the application form does not -necessarily- guarantee admission.
- Please keep Admission Card until you get the final status of the application.
- Classes expected to begin on the first week of September 2018.
- Applicants for the program may be subject to a written or an oral interview.
- Applicants for the program may be asked to study some remedial courses.
- The location of teaching shall be at the university site in Ramallah.
- Admission decisions are based on the academic record of the applicant, prior work experience, strength of recommendation letters, and clarity of the goal statement.